Some of you may or may not know that I have major depressive disorder (at least that’s what clinical tests tell me). And this is something I have battled with my entire life. Don’t worry, I’m not going to go crazy all of you or anything and I’m constantly being treated and evaluated on a monthly basis.
However, there is a lot about depression that people don’t know or understand because they have never dealt with it or lived with someone who has it. And many people, including myself, can fake happiness so that others won’t notice. Signs and symptoms of my depression include:
1. Withdrawl from daily activities and friends
2. Extreme fatigue and tiredness
3. Lack of self-confidence which often can lead to lack of self-care
4. A constant overwhelmed feeling
5. A general sadness
6. Feeling no purpose in life and having no drive
7. Lack of goals
8. Unable to make future plans
9. Negative self-talk of “you’re not good enough,” “just give up”
10. Last but not least, suicidal thoughts
So, please, if you see someone who has any of these signs, don’t ignore them. Ask them how they are really doing. Check up on them often. If they aren’t your friend but know someone who is, ask that person to check up on them. Most likely, people with depression will not reach out to others.
Whew, that was a hard one to get out but now it’s out on the interwebs for the world to know. And I’m okay with that.